If the FAQ’s didn’t answer all of your questions shoot us an e-mail at email@example.com
Camp Improv Utopia is a three-night cabin camping experience for improvisers, actors and business professionals18 and over. Filled with workshops, camping events, team building, campfires, stories, performances and more!
SFO and LAX are your best bets for airports. However there are the San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara airports as well. Getting a ride from the airport has never been an issue for a camper. Ridesharing is encouraged and you can set that up in our Facebook Private Member Page or contact us for help when it gets closer to camp. Check in to camp is at 4pm on Friday and Checkout is 11am on Monday.
Friday, May 23th to Monday, May 26th 2014 (Memorial Day Weekend). Activities start Friday evening with most of the programming on Saturday and Sunday. There is no programming on Monday except saying our goodbyes after breakfast.
Camp Improv Utopia is located at Camp Ocean Pines in Cambria, CA which is 3.5 hours north of the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and 3.5 hours south of the San Francisco Airport (SFO).
Yes, there is parking at Camp. We encourage you carpool if you can.
Here’s our list of items to bring to camp.
- jacket (It gets chilly at night)
- sunscreen!!! (Really important)
- long sleeve shirts
- Ear Plugs or White Noise (There may be snoring )
- hiking shoes and tennis shoes
- sweater or fleece
- waterproof rain suit (You can use a garbage bag as a poncho)
- sun hat or baseball cap
- old flat sheet for mattress cover
- warm, compact sleeping bag
- pillow (and pillow case)
- pen and notepad (to write down your ideas!)
- large towels (for shower)
- toiletries kit (toothbrush, toothpaste, lip balm, soap, shampoo, conditioner, Kleenex, comb)
- a scary story!
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 5 pairs of warm socks, 5 pairs of underwear
- 1 Yes-And attitude
- 1 open mind
And you might also want to think about bringing…
- camera or video camera
- Bed padding
- Musical instruments!
- Spending money (we will have commemorative camp t-shirts for sale and some snacks and beverages)
- reading material for your chill time
Do Not Bring…
- anything that, if lost or damaged, would break your heart
Your camp fee includes 8 meals starting from Friday evening and ending Monday morning. There is a dining hall where everyone can eat and the camp will provide the food and do the cooking. You will also have a bunk bed in a contemporary cabin with 8 to 10 other campers. Each cabin is clean and equipped with a private bathrooms, shower (with hot water) and electricity. Your fee also includes all camp activities and up to 10 hours of improv workshops.
IU is a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit company and our profits go back into the improv community via theater support, festival support and improv scholarships. We have supported many theaters over our four years of existence giving thousands of dollars back into the community.
Improv Utopia believes in quality over quantity. We do not over pack our camps. We want every camper to have a great experience and get the focused training they paid for. Our top instructors are also campers and hang out with our campers all weekend performing, chatting and doing camp activities. We are a 4 day, 3 night camp and our camps are all inclusive…meals, workshops, camp activities, lodging and more!
The staff is committed to helping any camper with a food allergy or dietary need have a great time at camp. Whether you’re a meat eater, vegetarian, or vegan we got you covered. Although we do recommend vegans bring snacks. The facility at Camp Ocean Pines is dedicated to working around many allergies and dietary needs. When registering just make sure to list your food allergies or dietary requirements and we’ll do our best to work with you.
Sure! Let us know and we will do our best to accommodate you. We do our best to put you with people from your theatre or community. However, if you have any specific preferences please let us know when you register.
We will have co-ed cabins and single-sex cabins, please let us know if you want to be in a single-sex cabin. Also, if you are an “early to bed” camper please let us know and we will set you up.
Camp Improv Utopia will have Camp Counselors who will be helpers for whatever you need. Each cabin will be assigned a Camp Counselor. They will be there to help you with any questions you have and help enhance your experience.
The Camp Fee is $400 from Now until December 31, 2013. $425 From January 1 to April 30, 2014 and $450 in May.
Yes but only up till 60 days prior to the first day of camp. The plans are:
- Deposit Plan $450
- $175 deposit is required at sign up and the rest will be due in 60 Days.
- You must do this before January 31.
- If paying by PayPal you there will be a convenience fee.
- Three-Pay-Plan $450
- $150 deposit is required at sign up. After 30 days of registration your second payment of $150 is due and after 60 days of registration your final payment of $150 is due
- You can do this until 60 days prior to the first day of camp.
- If paying by PayPal you there will be a one time convenience fee.
Yes, we encourage anyone to sign up. If you’re a businessperson looking to have better public speaking or presentation skills this will help you too. We have had all walks of life at camp from never having done improv to the most skilled of improvisers. All events and workshops will work with all levels of experience.